*Courtesy of Jennifer Kendall
- 2 artichokes (will make 8 quarters)
- 4 tablespoons Umeboshi paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground hazelnuts
- Vegan Parmesan cheese, for serving
- parsley leaves, for serving
Garlic olive oil drizzle
- Pour 3 tablespoons olive oil, the minced garlic, and the vinegar into a small pot.
- Add in umeboshi paste.
- Over low heat, let the mixture come together for 5-10 minutes.
- Take off heat and stir in the hazelnuts.
- Set a large pot of salted water on the stove to boil.
- Using kitchen shears, trim off pointy tips of artichoke leaves.
- Using a large, sharp knife, cut off the top ½-inch of the artichokes and the end of each stem.
- Carefully remove any small leaves attached directly to the stem.
- Wash artichokes thoroughly under cold water to clean them off, and dry with paper towel.
- One artichoke at a time. Take your big sharp knife, coat it with lemon juice from one of your lemon wedges, turn an artichoke upside down, so the stem is sticking up and slice it straight down in half, and then in half again to make quarters.
- Immediately rub down all cut surfaces with lemon wedges to prevent discoloration.
- Take a serrated spoon, or regular spoon, and coat it with lemon juice. Scoop out the fuzzy choke in the center, as well as the inner, purple leaves. Make sure you get all of the fuzzy part out, and liberally rub down the top of the heart with lemon to prevent discoloration. Also try to cut any remaining prickly points off of the inner curled leaves to prevent poking the eater. Repeat for other quarters.
- Once water is boiling, place artichokes in, cut side down, and cover with a clean cheese cloth, dish cloth, or cloth napkin. This will soak up water and ensure the artichokes stay wet while cooking.
- Cover pot with lid and cook about 9 minutes. When they are ready, they should be just soft enough to push a fork into the inside of the stem, but no softer. The outside of the stem should still be a bit firm. Carefully remove artichokes and place in a bowl of ice water to halt their cooking.
- Drizzle the artichokes with anchovy mixture, then sprinkle with Vegan Parmesan Cheese and chopped parsley.