*Courtesy of Erin Alderson
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ pound small to medium okra
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Combine spices for blackened seasoning in a mortar or use a spice grinder. Grind into a blended powder and transfer to a well-sealed jar.
- Preheat broiler and place a rack approximately 3" from the broiler.
- To make okra, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt, then okra. Blanch okra for one minute , drain, and transfer to a bowl. Add oil and 3 tablespoons of blackened seasoning. Toss until okra is well coated.
- Spread okra out on a baking tray and broil until okra is browning and starting to crisp, 3-4 minutes per side.
* Original recipe is actually for grilling the okra (also good). See book for details about this.
* Recipe from Afro Vegan