*Courtesy of Michelle Johnson
- 1½ cups water
- 3/4 cup coconut cream*
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup 5-minute grits
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place a can of full fat coconut milk in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Take it out of the fridge and open it.
- Scoop out 3/4 cup of the solid cream that has risen to the top. You will probably have about 1 1/4 cups. Don't use the water at the bottom for this recipe. You can save it for a smoothie or something else.
- Add the coconut cream, water and nondairy milk to a pot.
- Whisk it and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add in the grits while whisking steadily.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue whisking for 5 minutes.
- Remove the grits from the heat.
- Add butter, salt and pepper.
* buy 1 13.5 ounce can of full fat coconut milk