*Courtesy of Rika Huang
- Two vegan hamburger buns
- Toasted sesame oil for toasting the buns
- 1/2 cup wild arugula for filling
- Sriracha for garnish
- Vegan mayo
- Oil spray
- one 16-oz. firm tofu, pressed overnight using TofuXpress, slice in half (you will have two tofu slabs)
Barbecue Rub adapted from Grills Gone Vegan
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 tablespoon ground pepper
Barbecue Sauce in a Flash adapted from Grills Gone Vegan
- 6 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Barbecue Rub (see recipe above)
- pinch ground cayenne
- pinch ground pepper
Pickled Cucumber Salad
- 3-4 Persian cucumbers cut into 3-inch thin matchsticks or strips (optional: peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted or Japanese sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 10 cilantro leaves, rinsed, patted dry and finely minced
- Put all the ingredients (dry mustard, onion powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground cumin and ground pepper) in a small bowl and stir to combine. This is your "Barbecue Rub", set it aside.
- Put all the ingredients (ketchup, minced onions, dark brown sugar, seasoned rice vinegar, garlic, Barbecue Rub, ground cayenne and ground pepper) in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. This is your "Barbecue Sauce in a Flash". Optional: For a completely smooth sauce (without texture from onions), let the sauce cool a bit after cooking, then put it in a blender and process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rub the tofu slabs all over with the Barbecue Rub. Apply a thin layer of oil (or use a non-stick spray) to condition the surface of the pan, when needed. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until slightly browned and flipping both sides halfway.
- In a large saucepan at medium heat, add Barbecue Sauce in a Flash. Quickly coat both sides of tofu and stirringly occasionally until desired temperature is reached (about 5-8 minutes). Do this for both tofu slabs.
- You can also drizzle the sauce over the tofu in the end.
- Optional: You can press the tofu slabs in a panini grill quickly for the fun grill marks.
Pickled Cucumber Salad
- Place the prepared cucumber "matchsticks" in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tsp. salt. Let sit for about 30 minutes, rinse and drain well.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, rice vinegar and toasted Japanese sesame oil. Add the dried chili flakes.
- Add the mixture to the cucumber "matchsticks" in a bowl. Add cilantro for garnish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled.
- Toast your hamburger buns onto the griddle pan (at medium-high heat) with toasted sesame oil until slightly golden brown. Spread one of the buns with mayo.
- Add the BBQ tofu, Pickled Cucumber Salad, wild arugula and a bit of Sriracha.
Serve and enjoy!