*Courtesy of Justin Fox Burks and Amy Lawrence
- 2 avocados (peeled, seeded)
- 2 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- half a lime (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sambal
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- about a cup of water
- basil oil (or basil leaves)
- handful of rice noodles (fried for a few seconds in canola oil)
- The first eight ingredients (avocados, cucumbers, coconut milk, lime, rice vinegar, sugar, sambal & salt) go into a blender and are puréed until smooth.
- Add enough water to thin the mixture to the consistency of pancake batter.
- Serve cold garnished with basil oil, fried rice noodles, and chives.
- 1 1/2 cups of basil leaves
- 2 cups of olive oil
- 3 pieces of cheesecloth (or use two stacked mesh strainers)
- 1 clean jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Put basil leaves and olive oil in a blender and puree.
- Pour basil leaves and olive oil into a saucepan and heat on a low flame for three minutes.
- Using a few sheets of cheesecloth, strain the puree.
- Pour the basil oil into a jar with a tight cover and store in refrigerator.
- Discard unused portion after 11 days.