*Courtesy of Graciela Miranda
Makes 4 servings
- 1 bag of split peas
- 1 onion
- ½ green or yellow pepper
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 can Goya tomato sauce (8oz.)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 bag of watercress or spinach
- Rinse split peas in water to remove foam; about 2-3 times. Fill pot with water; boil until tender and creamy.
- Add sofrito to split peas. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
Sofrito: (Spanish-style Stir-Fry: This can be added to beans, rice, soups, stews, you name it.)
- Chop onion and pepper. Mash garlic in a pilon (mortar and pestle).
- Sauté onions, peppers and garlic in oil until tender, then add 1 can Goya tomato sauce (8 oz.). Simmer 2-3 minutes. Add oregano and cumin. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!