*Courtesy of Heidi Swanson
Makes 2-4 Servings
- 4 toasted slabs of whole grain bread, rubbed with olive oil and a bit of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb of asparagus stalks, trimmed roughly the length of your bread
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 avocado, pitted and smashed
- a couple handfuls of arugula, tossed in a bit of olive oil
- a handful of toasted pepitas, or almonds, or sunflower seeds
- A few minutes before you want to eat heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot add the asparagus, and a pinch of salt and cook for about thirty seconds.
- Add the garlic and caraway, and cook another thirty seconds, or until the spears are a vibrant green. Remove from heat, and assembly the tartines.
- Give each piece of bread a generous slather of mashed avocado.
- Top that with a bit of arugula, a few asparagus spears, and a generous sprinkling of pepitas or seeds.