*Courtesy of Charlie Harvey
Makes 5 Fajitas
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 yellow squash (or another courgette)
- 2 handful fake chicken bits (or strips of tofu or seitan if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 4 fl oz olive oil (plus a tablespoon in which to fry)
- 4 fl oz balsamic vinegar
- 1 squeeze lime juice
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- A few drops Dragon's Blood sauce (or other hot sauce you prefer)
- 4 tortillas
- If you've got dried chipotle peppers, boil up the kettle and get them soaking in a mug of hot water.
- Mix oil, vinegar, garlic, herbs, spices, salt, liquid smoke and Dragon's Blood sauce in a jug or some sort of vessel like that. Set it aside for now.
- Julienne the veggies.
- Hopefully your chipotle peppers have gone all rehydrated. Chop them into bits and add to your marinade.
- Chuck the veggies in a bowl or a tupperware. Tip the marinade over them, swizzle round for a bit to get them all coated in fajitaish loveliness and leave them to soak it up for an hour.
- Now heat up some oil in a griddle or skillet or frying pan so that its not quite smoking. Hot that is.
- Put in a little bit of the veggie mix at a time and fry it for about 5 minutes, until it starts having little black bits on it.
- Meanwhile, wrap a stack of five or fewer tortillas in a packet of aluminum foil and put it in a pre-heated 350° oven for 15-20 minutes, until heated through. You can do multiple packets of five tortillas each all at the same time.
- You can have these as is or you can whip up a salsa, some guacamole, chop up some lettuce,grate some cheezely and empty some jalapenos into a bowl if you're trying to impress someone.