*Courtesy of Kristy Turner
Cashew Hemp Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 T shelled hemp seeds
- 1 cup water for soaking, reserve ¼ cup + 2 tsp for the sauce
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp white miso
- ¼ tsp minced garlic (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Soak your cashews and hemp seeds in warm water for at least an hour. Drain and reserving the water.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Puree until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use (should keep for 1-2 days) or enjoy immediately.
makes 3 12-14 inch pizzas
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 deg.)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 cups unbleached bread flour, plus more for dusting
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine the yeast and water until yeast has mostly dissolved. Add in the sugar and gently stir until dissolved. Set aside for at least 10 minutes, until a thick layer of foam has developed on the top.
- Pour your flour into a large bowl and make a small “well” in the middle. Add the salt and olive oil to your yeast mixture and pour into the well in the bowl of flour. Use a wooden spoon (or other strong spoon) to stir, until it becomes too tough. Then you can use your hands to knead the dough. If it is too sticky, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too crumbly, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Knead the dough until it forms into a solid ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a few times; kneading until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 500. Prepare your pizza-cooking device of choice (pan, stone, or paddle) by lightly sprinkling with flour or cornmeal.
- Once the dough is domed and spongy, turn it out onto a lightly floured counter. Roll and stretch the dough into a cylinder and divide into 3 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes so it will be easier to roll out. Roll or pat out a piece of dough into a 12-14 inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Transfer your rolled-out pizza dough to your cooking device and top with desired toppings. Transfer the pizza to the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until crust is golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining balls of dough, or wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 5-7 days.
Kumquat & Rainbow Chard Stem Pizza
makes 1 pizza
- 1/3 recipe pizza dough
- 1 recipe of Cashew Hemp Cheese
- 12-14 kumquats, halved and seeds removed
- 12-14 cherry tomatoes, halved
- stems from one bunch of rainbow chard, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper (or any color pepper), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500. You should have your pizza dough prepared, according to this recipe (or the pizza dough recipe of your preference), spread out into a 12-14 in circle and on your prepared pizza-cooking device of choice.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add the chard stems and the vegetable broth and sauté until liquid is gone and the stems have softened. Add the bell pepper slices and sauté for a few more minutes. Mix in paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Evenly spread the Cashew-Hemp Cheese Sauce on the prepared pizza crust. Top with the chard stems & bell pepper slices, the sliced kumquats, and the sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Place the pizza in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp.
Slice and serve warm. Enjoy!