*Courtesy of Ramya Vivekanandan Rodrigues ( Adapted from Suvir Saran)
- 1 pound whole okra
- Canola oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large or two small ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chaat masala
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Wash and train the okra. Trim the ends.
- Cut the okra into four lengthwise.
- In a wok or a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350 F / 175 C. Fry the okra in 2-3 batches until crispy and golden on the edges, which generally takes about 5-7 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Pat the okra dry with additional paper towels and mix well in a large bowl with the onion, tomato, lemon juice, chaat masala, salt, chili powder and coriander.