*Courtesy of Joel Luks
- 4 pretty green tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup purple basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground galangal (optional)
- Begin by cutting the tomatoes to your desired thickness; about at 1/2 inch slices. The 1/4 inch thickness will allow the breading to stick to the sides of the tomato a little better, and the 1/2 inch will feel a little more meaty. Up to you.
- Place the tomatoes in a plate or cookie sheet and sprinkle them generously with kosher salt and pepper. The salt will draw out any excess moisture from the tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, process the coconut milk with the purple basil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper until fully blended. Set half of the mixture aside for the sauce later.
- Whisk in the boiling water into the Ener-G Egg Replacer and mix until thick and foamy. Add this to one of the coconut milk mixture to be used to coat the tomatoes.
- Mix the flour, bread crumbs, season with salt, pepper, and dried ground galangal if available. It’s OK to omit. Place in a shallow dish and prepare to coat the tomatoes.
- If the tomatoes are watery, dry them with a paper towel, and if necessary, pass through a little plain flour.
- Drench them in the coconut milk/egg replacer mixture.
- Coat them generously with the flour and bread crumb mixture.
- Heat about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oil in a non-stick pan. Wait until hot but not smoking. Fry them for about 4-5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness.
- Turn over being careful not to splash oil, because that would hurt.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve immediately. With the mango salsa.
- 2 yellow mangoes (about 1 cup) diced
- 1/2 cup red onion minced
- 1/4 cup purple basil chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- For a more dramatic effect, we can stack them into a Napoleon (see picture).
- Put a tablespoon of the reserved coconut milk mixture without the Ener-G egg Replacer on a place. Place a fried green tomato on the sauce, and top with a some of the mango salsa.
- Place a tablespoon of the coconut sauce at the bottom, then a fried tomato, followed my some salsa, another tomato, and topped with salsa and some purple basil.