*Courtesy of Amanda MaguireMakes 6 donuts
- 1 C. All Purpose Flour
- 1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
- 1 Tbs. Orange Zest, plus another Tsp. for garnish
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- ¾ C. Orange Juice
- ½ C. Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbs. Coconut Oil, melted (or other vegan buttery spread)
- 2 Tbs. Unsweetened Applesauce
- ½ Tsp. Pure Vanilla
- ½ C. Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbs. Coconut Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a donut pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice, granulated sugar, melted coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon or pipe batter into greased donut pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until donuts are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Allow donuts to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- While donuts are cooling, prepare the chocolate glaze by melting the chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Dip each donut into the chocolate and garnish with a sprinkle of the remaining orange zest.
- This recipe made about 6 small donuts, plus some leftover batter that can be used to make 2 muffins. Donut pans can vary a lot in size, so donut yield will likely vary. You may need to adjust your baking time accordingly.
- No donut pan? No problem! You can use the batter to make delicious muffins. Just be sure to bake them for an additional 3-5 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.