*Courtesy of Trudy
Serves 6+ as a side dish
- 1 litre of homemade or good quality vegetable stock
- 1 cup of polenta
- 12oz roma tomatoes, sliced in half (substitute these with brought sundried tomatoes to save time if you prefer)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4oz baby Kale
- 2½oz baby spinach
- 1-2 avocados, sliced and drizzled with lemon juice
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tbs vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise)
- 3 tbs good quality olive oil
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tsp grated horseradish (to taste)
- ½ tsp agave nectar
- To prepare the polenta bring the stock to boil in a large saucepan.
- Once boiling add the polenta in a steady stream and whisk over a low heat for 2-3 minutes until thick and smooth.
- Transfer to an approximately 6 litre capacity lightly greased baking dish, smooth over the top and refrigerate for about an hour until set.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 130°C/266°F and place the halved tomatoes into a baking dish.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt flakes and fresh cracked pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast at the low temperature for 1½ – 2 hours. Keep warm.
- To make the dressing whisk all the ingredients together until combined and season to taste.
- Set aside.
- Once the polenta is set turn it out of the dish and cut into pieces around 2-3cm square.
- Dust each piece with extra polenta and fry in batches over a medium heat in a frying-pan, using oil or butter depending on what you prefer.
- Transfer the fried polenta pieces onto absorbent paper and keep warm.
- Once the polenta and tomatoes are cooked toss them together with the kale, spinach, avocado and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Just before serving pile the prepared salad onto a serving plate and drizzle over the dressing.