*Courtesy of Michele Borboa
Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 envelope)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup coconut milk, warm
- 3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scatter almonds on a small baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes or until they start to lightly brown. Quickly remove from the oven to avoid scorching them. Set aside on a paper towel to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine yeast, sugar, and water. Set aside for 5 minutes or until mixture is frothy (this means yeast is viable).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, agave or maple syrup, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together.
- Add coconut mixture and 1-1/2 cups of flour mixture to mixer bowl and blend on low speed until combined.
- Switch to dough hook and add remaining flour, mixing on medium-low speed until dough comes together.
- Knead with dough hook for 5 to 6 minutes or until dough is smooth. Dump onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and set aside in a warm draft-free place. Let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix together almonds, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and remaining cinnamon.
- Brush dough with about 2/3 of the margarine and sprinkle with almond mixture.
- Use a sharp knife to cut dough lengthwise into 12 strips. Roll each strip to form a roll.
- Spray a 10-inch round baking pan with cooking spray. Place cinnamon rolls in pan (cut side down) and cover with a damp towel.
- Let cinnamon rolls rise for 20 minutes. Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.