*Courtesy of Kathy Patalsky
Makes 7-8 large patties
- 2 cans cannellini white beans, drained
- 1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning OR Cajun seasoning
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- Panko crumbs
- Safflower oil for pan
- Add to burgers: Avocado, Dijon mustard, grain buns, romaine, onion, olive oil, pepper
- Bake sweet potatoes at 400° F. Pierce each sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
- Add washed and drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.
- Mash in seasoning and flour. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs to thicken the mixture if needed.
- Heat 1 Tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat.
- Form a patty from mixture and thickly coat in Panko crumbs. Then place the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides. You could also bake the patty, if baking use less Panko.
- Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Cool for a few minutes.
- Serve on toasted bun with toppings.